Friday, December 20, 2013

The tension between grace and absolute truth

“…grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” (John Chapter 1 verse 17) Notice two things that came to us through Jesus Christ: 1) Grace and 2) Truth There is a tension between grace and absolute truth. Being a follower of Jesus is being rebranded in our culture as, “Haters of people, those who are judgmental and intolerant of others, those who will only be kind to you if you believe what they believe.” I can’t speak for anyone else, I will speak for myself, I am a follower of Jesus, I don’t hate people…. any people. I love all people, even those who don’t like me. I show God my love of Him by how I honor, serve and speak well of the people I see everyday. So, I just want to repeat what Scripture says, it says, “God is love.” So why is this message that God is love so upsetting? Because with the mercies of God come the absolute truths of God. When God’s absolute truth flies in the face of the longings of the hearer it can be upsetting. People can be as upset as they want about the truths of God but it does not negate the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment